The University of Helsinki is an international scientific community of 40,000 students and researchers. It is one of the leading multidisciplinary research universities in Europe and ranks among the top 100 international universities in the world.
HOH Helsinki One Health is a new network organization, led by the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and cooperated by four other faculties at the University of Helsinki, to co-ordinate research actions within the area of One Health. One Health is a globally emerging concept recognizing that the health of humans and animals is interconnected and that their populations share the essentials of life: the genome, disease causing organisms, health, welfare, and the environment. HOH Helsinki One Health involves different disciplines and professions to work together to resolve emerging health problems concerning human and animal populations worldwide. In addition to other profiling actions, HOH Helsinki One Health will host several tenure track professorships with their established research environments in years 2018-2022. Please see: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/one-health.
We invite applications for the position of an
ASSISTANT PROFESSOR / ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR / PROFESSOR IN EMERGING INFECTIOUS DISEASES
This is a joint position between the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. The research and teaching field of the professorship is microbiology, infectious diseases and vaccines. An emphasis is in the areas, where the problems are shared by human and veterinary medicine. The professorship will be based in the Faculty of Medicine. The areas of strengths of the program relevant to the call include, for example, studies in the pathogenesis of emerging infections, their virulence mechanisms, animal-to-human transmission and its drivers, reasons for host species differences, analysis of evolution of emerging microbes, control and prevention of emerging infections by hygienic measures and vaccines, animal models, new therapeutic measures and battling the increasing resistance to antibiotics.
The appointee is expected to contribute to the advancement of the One Health Research Programme in at least one of the above fields. The main tasks of the appointee will include scientific research and research-based teaching, and participation in national and international collaboration.
Examples of contents relevant to Emerging Infectious Diseases position:
• viral infections: e.g. TBE (tick-borne encephalitis), influenza viruses, zika, ebola
• bacterial infections: e.g. borreliosis, salmonella, campylobacter, ETEC/EHEC/EPEC; antimicrobial resistance
• parasite infections: e.g. malaria, leishmaniasis, schistosomiasis and other helminth infections
• animal / human interaction
• emerging infections in developing countries and societies
• vaccines and other immune interventions
• other related work on infectious diseases
The Faculty of Medicine (https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-medicine) conducts high-quality research and provides research-based undergraduate and postgraduate education in medicine, dentistry, psychology and logopedics. It is located in the Meilahti Campus, offering excellent opportunities for close collaboration with both the University Hospital (part of HUS) and public sector research institutes. In addition to teaching and research, the Faculty serves as an important authority in the field of health care and actively participates in ethical discourse.
The Faculty of Veterinary Medicine (https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-veterinary-medicine) is the only institution of higher education in Finland to produce veterinarians. The degree programmes have been accredited in accordance with the ESEVT system for the evaluation of veterinary education in Europe. The Faculty has four departments and a Veterinary Teaching Hospital. The Veterinary Teaching Hospital includes companion animal and equine hospitals in Helsinki, Viikki Campus, and the production animal hospital in Mäntsälä. It is Finland’s only veterinary hospital for all animal species and a top-level unit in veterinary care.
The research and teaching activities at the Meilahti and Viikki Campus are supported by state-of-the-art infrastructures including core facilities e.g for genome analysis, proteomics, in vitro and in vivo animal imaging and electrophysiology, histotechnology and laboratory animal pathology, mouse behavioral phenotyping and biosafety laboratories for work on pathogenic microbes (https://www.helsinki.fi/en/helsinki-institute-of-life-science/hilife-res...).
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS AND ASSESSMENT OF THE QUALIFICATIONS
The applicant may be appointed to a permanent full professorship or a fixed-term assistant/ associate professorship (tenure track), depending on his or her qualifications and career stage. For more information on the tenure track model, career path and general assessment criteria for different stages at the University of Helsinki, please see https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university/tenure-t....
An appointee to the position of an assistant/associate professor in the tenure track system shall hold a doctoral degree, have the ability to conduct independent scholarly work and have the teaching skills necessary for the position as well as ability and motivation for an academic career.
An appointee to a full professorship shall hold a doctoral degree and have top-level scholarly qualifications, experience in the supervision of scientific research, as well as the ability to provide top-level research-based teaching and to supervise theses and dissertations. In addition, the appointee shall present documentation of international cooperation in the field of research that he or she represents. Holders of professorships shall also have the skills necessary for serving as an academic leader.
When considering applicants’ qualifications, attention will be paid to:
• applicant’s expertise and experience in the research and teaching field
• scientific publications in the field of the position
• success in obtaining external research funding
• experience in leading research projects / research project management
• experience in teaching and supervision of students, as well as other teaching merits
• international research experience and positions of trust
• vision for development of the applicant’s own research work and the research field in general
To successfully attend to the duties of the position, the appointee must have fluent English skills.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
• Monthly gross salary will be about 4 300–5 400 euros for assistant/associate professor and about 5 400–6 800 euros for professor depending on the applicant’s merits and career stage.
• The position is associated with a negotiable start-up package.
• Read more about the employee benefits at the University of Helsinki and why the University of Helsinki is an excellent career choice: https://www.helsinki.fi/en/university/working-at-the-university.
APPLICATION AND FURTHER INFORMATION
Instructions, requirements for language skills and models are available on the Faculty’s website at https://www.helsinki.fi/en/faculty-of-medicine/faculty/recruitment (including the instructions for drawing up an application, as well as a separate form for the documentation of teaching qualifications, see also the matrix for the evaluation of teaching skills). Statement of intent should include a plan for improving research and teaching in the context of One Health.
Please submit your application through the University of Helsinki Recruitment System via the link Apply for the position. Applicants who are employees of the University of Helsinki are requested to submit their application via the SAP HR portal. The closing date for applications is 26 May, 2019.
Applicants are kindly asked to prepare for the situation in which, after the closing of the application period, the faculty may request them to submit 20 publications of their choice to be sent to the assessors.
• About the position and the operational environment: Dean Risto Renkonen, Faculty of Medicine, risto.renkonen(at)helsinki.fi, +358504484704 or Vice Dean, Helsinki One Health Director, Olli Peltoniemi, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, olli.peltoniemi(at)helsinki.fi, p. +358405381621.
• About the recruitment process: HR Specialist Heidi Kauppinen, heidi.m.kauppinen(at)helsinki.fi, p. +358504155341, technical support with the recruitment system also: recruitment(at)helsinki.fi
26.05.2019 23:59 EESTContinue reading
|Title||Assistant Professor / Associate Professor / Professor in Emerging Infectious Diseases, HOH Helsinki One Health|
|Employer||University of Helsinki|
|Job location||Yliopistonkatu 4, 00100 Helsinki|
|Published||April 15, 2019|
|Application deadline||May 26, 2019|
|Job type||Professor,   Assistant / Associate Professor,   Tenure Track  |
|Fields||Virology,   Microbiology,   Parasitology,   Infectious Diseases  |