Let’s shape the future - University of Antwerp
The University of Antwerp is a dynamic, forward-thinking, European university. We offer an innovative academic education to more than 20 000 students, conduct pioneering scientific research and play an important service-providing role in society. We are one of the largest, most international and most innovative employers in the region. With more than 6000 employees from 100 different countries, we are helping to build tomorrow's world every day. Through top scientific research, we push back boundaries and set a course for the future – a future that you can help to shape.
The Department of Biomedical sciences (BMS) in the Faculty Pharmaceutical, Biomedical and Veterinary Sciences (FBD) has the following full-time vacancy:
Tenured junior or senior academic staff in the field of Biomedical imaging: preclinical MRI
The Bio-Imaging lab team (https://www.uantwerpen.be/nl/onderzoeksgroep/bio-imaging-lab/) is currently consisting of two full time professors (Annemie Van der Linden and Marleen Verhoye) whose research is directed towards neurosciences more specifically basic and preclinical neuro MRI in small animal models for neurodegeneration and neuroplasticity. Due to the retirement of Annemie Van der Linden, we are looking for an MRI scientist with complementary interests and research directions who could build on the acquired expertise within the team.
The Bio-Imaging lab from the Department Biomedical Sciences is housed in a small-animal-imaging facility (built 2011) harboring 3 high field and 1 lower field small animal MRI scanners: one 9.4T, two 7T (one can work under spf) from Bruker running on Paravision 6.0, and 4.7T system from MR-Solutions for high throughput imaging, a crycoil for the 9.4T system, relevant MRI coils, physiological monitoring including EEG setups, a bioluminescence camera (Biospace), L2 rooms, surgical and behavior rooms. In the same building the Molecular Imaging Center Antwerp (MICA) team is housed who has 2 small animal PET/CT (Siemens Inveon) and PET/SPECT/CT (MILabs VECTor/CT) systems. Both are part of a larger consortium (iMARK) (https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/research-groups/imark/) which focus is on valorisation (IOF) of imaging biomarkers and is also part of a research excellence center (OEC) ‘microneuro’ focussing on neurosciences at different scales (cell to human) (https://www.uantwerpen.be/en/research-groups/muneuro/). The Departement Biomedical Sciences has the aim to strengthen research in the domain of neurosciences, oncology and infectious diseases. The University of Antwerp has a large and well maintained animalarium.
You will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: education (40%), research (40%) and services (20%). Your role also includes organisational and managerial aspects.
- You will provide high-quality education in the programs of Biomedical Sciences and Biochemistry & Biotechnology with a focus on imaging / neurosciences (15-20 ECTS). In the master program, you translate your research into educational activities. You provide to both national and international students research training at undergraduate and graduate level.
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
- You will supervise students with their Bachelor and Master dissertations.
- The new recruit will expand together with the colleague professor high-quality scientific research in biomedical imaging in the Bio-Imaging Lab’s research niche(s) but also within the high-quality and high capacity core facility (fee for service) providing MRI support for a broad range of applications (cancer, infection etc) to academia and industry. We are looking for an excellent scientist, junior or senior, with an excellent scientific track record (ERC profile), with a strong drive to succeed, a positive attitude, a background in biomedical imaging. Additional skills in computational neurosciences or image processing would be an advantage.
- You will initiate new lines of Biomedical research and coordinate the progress of scientific research projects. You will also participate in ongoing research programmes at the Bio-Imaging Lab.
- You will acquire and manage national and international research funding.
- You will publish in high ranked international journals.
- You will develop an international scientific network.
- You will supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally.
Organisation and leadership
- Together with your colleague professor you will run a biomedical MRI core facility and secure funding for maintenance and future renewal of the necessary equipment.
- You will accept coordinating responsibilities in the areas of education, research and/or service provision and you will contribute to policy.
- Your leadership style will be motivating and coaching. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
- You hold a PhD in Sciences (Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Neurosciences…) Biomedical Sciences, Bio engineering, Biomedical engineering, Medical sciences, or alike.
- You can demonstrate several years of postdoctoral experience (or equivalent) in Biomedical MRI.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies. You have established an excellent research portfolio including top ranked publication.
- You can demonstrate the ability to get international and/or industrial funding.
- Your teaching competences are in line with the University of Antwerp’s educational vision. You are motivated to develop your teaching skills further through the professionalisation opportunities available.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- Candidates who have already followed an integration trajectory at Antwerp University during the ten years prior to this vacancy and who have not completed this with a B2 language certificate, cannot again appeal to the implementation of article II.270 §2 of the Codex Higher Education and must demonstrate their proficiency in Dutch at CEFR level B2 at the time of application in order to meet the eligibility criteria for this vacancy.
- You demonstrate leadership potential and organisational skills.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You are an excellent team player with excellent communication skills. In addition to scientific excellence and integrity, we value mentorship, collaboration, innovation and above all, a strong passion for imaging research/ neurosciences.
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as a member of the academic staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP). The level of your appointment ((assistant professor, associate professor, professor or full professor) is determined on the basis of your professional experience and academic qualifications. Junior ZAP members are usually offered temporary appointment as a tenure track assistant professor for five years, which is then followed by permanent appointment as an associate professor. Appointment as an associate professor or higher leads to permanent appointment (tenure) after a maximum of three years. A favourable performance appraisal is always required for permanent appointment.
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for senior academic staff.
- The planned start date is 1st of January 2022.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 28 June 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV, (4) an overview of your 5 major research achievements including details on the significance for the research field and on what was your role in this achievement (max. 2 pages), (5) a future research plan in which you detail a vision on your research within the Department of Biomedical Sciences (max. 2 pages).
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to email@example.com. If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Annemie Van der Linden, PI and lab head, firstname.lastname@example.org; Marleen Verhoye, PI, email@example.com.
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply.