Department: Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
As part of its dynamic research policy and supported by the possibilities offered by the Flemish Government through the resources of the Special Research Fund (BOF), the Faculty of Medicine and Health Science is seeking to fill a full-time vacancy in the domain “Public Health and Primary Care” for a
Junior research professor (tenure track ZAPBOF) in the area of health economics and economic evaluation of health care programs and organisation
The faculty frontline research domain Public Health and Primary Care together with the Centre for Health Economics Research & Modelling Infectious Diseases (CHERMID) wish to strengthen their research activities in the field of health economics, with a focus on the efficiency and organisation of health care systems and care institutions, and the valuation of health outcomes.
The faculty frontline research domain Public Health and Primary Care is a collaboration between different research groups Primary and Interdisciplinary Care (ELIZA), Global Health Institute (GHI), Centre of Research and innovation in Care (CRIC), Social Epidemiology & Health Policy (SEHPO) and other faculty researchers in this domain. Their national and international research projects focus on the organisation and quality of integrated health care, as well as on challenges and possibilities of health care systems.
CHERMID is an internationally renowned centre for health economics and modelling, which offers a multidisciplinary research context.
The further development of the above specific area in health economics will be of great value for our current health services research lines and will add a translational character to our existing basic research.
As a member of the senior academic staff (Dutch: Zelfstandig Academisch Personeel, ZAP), you will contribute to the University of Antwerp’s three core tasks: research, services and education. Your role may also include organisational and managerial aspects. As a research professor, your role will consist primarily of academic research with some limited involvement in the educational programmes for a maximum of 10 years.
- You will expand high-quality scientific research in health economics.
- You develop research at an internationally competitive level.
- You consolidate and expand your expertise in health care system organisation and efficiency, health outcome valuation and economic evaluation of health care programs by developing and applying innovative methods.
- Starting from the existing constellations and partnerships within the "public health and primary care" domain of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences , you will seek and initiate new collaborations at the University of Antwerp, as well as nationally and internationally.
- Your research will pay specific attention to the (future) challenges and opportunities for health care systems.
- You acquire and manage resources to realize projects, recruit PhD students and guide them in their research.
- You will publish in international journals and specialist literature.
- You will develop an international scientific network.
- You will supervise PhD students and postdoctoral researchers.
- You will play a role in the provision of both academic services and service to society, within the institution and externally. You will participate in student recruitment, boards and committees, popular science communication, and so on.
- In addition to this scientific task package, the assignment will also consist of a limited participation in the educational programs and teaching services of the faculty for a period of five years.
- You will provide high-quality education in health economics.
- Your limited teaching role will evolve along with the study programmes.
- You will play a role in developing activating, student-centred and competence-driven programme components and study programmes.
Organisation and leadership
- You will accept coordinating responsibilities in the core tasks of research, services and/or education and you will contribute to policy.
- Your leadership style will be motivating and coaching. You will be attentive to your employees’ growth and development processes.
Profile and requirements
- You obtained a Masters degree in (applied) economics (or a relevant subfield like health economics or environmental economics) or in bioengineering or in commercial engineering.
- You hold a PhD degree in economics, (bio-)medical sciences or social sciences.
- You have a minimum of 2 years postdoc experience at the closing date of the vacancy.
- You have an international academic CV and perform qualitatively outstanding academic research in the broader field of the involved domain.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- The focus in your teaching corresponds to the educational vision of the university.
- If you do not speak Dutch, the administrative language of the university, you should be willing to obtain a CEFR B2 level of proficiency in Dutch within five years after your appointment. As soon as you take on teaching duties as a programme component coordinator, you should be able to demonstrate a CEFR C1 level of proficiency in the language of instruction. The University of Antwerp supports international staff members through an integration trajectory and offers tailor-made language coaching in compliance with Flanders’ statutory language regulations.
- You have leadership skills (or the potential to develop them).
- You are quality-oriented, conscientious, creative and cooperative.
- Extension to recommendation:
- Demonstrable expertise in the field of health economics, particularly regarding the organisation and efficiency of health care systems, health outcome valuation and economic evaluation of health care programs
- Experience in leading research and/or supervising PhD students, with demonstrable (co-) promotorship of current or completed PhD theses;
- Experience with the writing and acquisition of (funded) subsidy applications; including PhD and postdoc fellowships;
- International visibility, for e.g. by oral presentations at international congresses;
- International mobility, through demonstrable research stays in research institutes external to the institution with the highest academic degree;
- Involvement in scientific services within and/or outside the academic institute of appointment;
- We offer a full-time ZAPBOF appointment as a tenure track lecturer for a period of five years. Following a favourable evaluation, this period is followed by permanent appointment (tenure) as a senior lecturer.
- In the event of a positive evaluation after the first five-year period, you may continue in your role as a research professor with limited teaching responsibilities for a maximum of ten years in total, allowing you to further strengthen your research This tenure track ZAPBOF period is then followed by a standard position as a member of the senior academic staff with a mixture of teaching, research and service responsibilities.
- In case of equal qualifications, priority will be given to candidates of the underrepresented gender within the domain of science. This priority is not automatically and unconditionally; as the evaluation will always take into account the personal situation of every candidate;
- The date of appointment will be at the earliest the 1st of October 2021
- Your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scales for senior academic staff;
- An attractive starter package consisting of a four-year doctoral scholarship and € 50,000 consumables;
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken (CDE) in a dynamic and stimulating work evironment;
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here and discover all the other benefits.
How to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including April 26, 2021 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on 'apply', complete the online application form and don’t forget to include the following documents: (1) your motivation letter, (2) the completed job application appendix for ZAP, (3) your academic CV, (4) a detailed research plan for the next five years (approx. 5000 words, including a concise description (1 page) of the intended PhD research (see starter package), (5) a report on your previous scientific research activities (maximum 5000 words), (6) two abstracts on the scientific content of the research plan (one scientific abstract and one abstract in lay terms of maximum 500 words or 4000 characters each). All documents must be submitted in English.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure.
- If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.For questions about the profile and the description of duties, please contact Prof. Dr. Paul Van Royen (email@example.com; Tel. +32(0)3.265.25.27) or Prof.dr. Philippe Beutels (firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel. +32(0)3.265.26.58)
- If you have any questions about the typical appointment framework for this research role, please contact the (TT)ZAPBOF officer in the Department of Research Affairs & Innovation, Marianne De Voecht (0032 3 265 30 29).
The University of Antwerp received the European Commission’s HR Excellence in Research Award for its HR policy. We are a sustainable, family-friendly organisation which invests in its employees’ growth. We encourage diversity and attach great importance to an inclusive working environment and equal opportunities, regardless of gender identity, disability, race, ethnicity, religion or belief, sexual orientation or age. We encourage people from diverse backgrounds and with diverse characteristics to apply