The Information Management Institute of the Faculty of Economics and Business (University of Neuchâtel) open a PhD assistant position (full-time) in Statistics/Econometrics starting 1st August 2021 or upon agreement.
QUALIFICATIONS AND ASSESSMENT GROUNDS FOR APPOINTMENT
The applicants should
- have a Bachelor and Master degrees in statistics, mathematics (with some knowledge of economics), economics or finance (with a strong mathematical background), or related fields,
- be willing to start working on a Ph. D. thesis in the fields of statistics/econometrics at the University of Neuchâtel,
- poses a high level of independence, intellectual openness, creativity and scientific curiosity, be interested in doing research, be motivated to study, understand and finally master possibly complicated technical problems, be willing to neatly write up the results,
- poses strong quantitative skills, good knowledge of probability and statistics/econometrics,
- be interested in teaching and willing to perform to a high level in the didactic duties,
- have good knowledge of both French and English.
- The successful candidate is expected to conduct research towards the completion of a PhD Thesis. The possible topics of the thesis cover theoretical and/or empirical methods in statistics and econometrics applied to quantitative accounting.
- She/he will function as a teaching assistant for bachelor and master level courses and expected to interact with the students and to assist them in their learning effort. The teaching is both in French and English.
- The assistant will also play an active role in the department. She/he is expected to interact with other researchers in the school, to participate in department's activities, to contribute to the scientific life of the department by attending seminars, conferences, taking part in organizing of scientific events, supervising undergraduate/graduate theses within her/his research area, etc.
- The assistant will be employed on a full-time, fixed-term contract and will be active in the Information Management Institute for the full duration of this position.
- The successful candidates will receive benefits and salary in accordance to the rules and regulations of the University of Neuchâtel (see https://www.unine.ch/srh/assistant-e-s-doctorant-e-s)
- The Faculty of Economics and Business of the University of Neuchâtel, has more than 400 students, over 30 full professors and guest teachers, 20 lecturers, and about 30 teaching and research assistants.
- Ideally located at the heart of Europe (halfway between Zürich and Geneva), Neuchâtel offers its residents an exceptional quality of life and is an ideal place for study and high-level research work.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE AND DEADLINE
The application file (a single PDF file), containing the curriculum vitae, a cover letter, copies of diplomas accompanied by transcripts and two letters of recommendation must be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org (subject: PhD Position Statistics) until July 15, 2021 (if needed, the recommendation letters can be sent directly by their authors to the above address). A research proposal for the thesis, the summary of the master's thesis or an original scientific article as well as a short statement of candidate’s views on teaching, mentioning relevant previous experiences related to didactic activities of any kind can be included as part of the application file. Further information can be obtained from Prof. C. Starica (email@example.com) or by viewing the institute's website.
Applications will be considered on an ongoing basis and interviews will be conducted until the qualified candidate is found.
The University of Neuchâtel is actively committed to the implementation of its responsibility and offers non-discriminatory working conditions.