Vacancy Reference: 23649 / FIAL 026 / 2020 (to be quoted in any correspondence)
UCLouvain invites applications for a tenure track or tenured full time position in Latin Language and Linguistics
UCLouvain is a comprehensive university offering, in the context of the present position, the opportunity of cross-disciplinary research and teaching collaborations. The position is attached to the Faculty of Philosophy, Arts and Letters and the Institute for Cultural Analysis that offer opportunities for diverse and stimulating teaching as well as an environment to carry out ambitious research. The Louvain-la-Neuve site offers a unique living environment inside a naturally preserved neighbourhood, conveniently located to the heart of Europe.
Description of the mission
The successful candidate will have teaching assignments in the field of Latin language and linguistics (Introduction to Latin, Basics of Latin Grammar, Latin Language - bachelor and master degrees).
The successful candidate will develop and drive a cutting-edge research program on topics such as Classical studies, with a specialisation in Latin language and linguistics.
Application deadline: 15th November, 2019
Starting date: 1st September, 2020
Prof. Cédrick Fairon, Dean FIAL – firstname.lastname@example.org
Prof. Marco Cavalieri, President INCA – email@example.com
Localization: Social Sciences and Humanities Sector
Faculty of Philosophy, Arts and Letters (FIAL) (https://uclouvain.be/en/faculties/FIAL)
Institute for Cultural Analysis (INCA) (https://uclouvain.be/en/research-institutes/INCAL)
Tasks: the applicant will
- Be responsible for teaching courses at all study levels (i.e. undergraduate and postgraduate), as well as in programmes of continuing education;
- Supervise the final diploma research (i.e. theses) of undergraduate and graduate students, as well as PhD theses;
- Be involved in (and/or supervise, promote) research programmes;
- Contribute to the international visibility of the University through teaching and research excellence;
- Be available to carry out, in the long term, different service activities and responsibilities within the University and its entities;
- Contribute to activities of the University with a societal impact in the fields of the economy, socio-cultural changes or cooperation with developing countries.
Qualifications: the applicant must have
- A PhD degree in Languages and Classics or any comparable discipline;
- A significant scientific record with international publications;
- Either studied abroad for an extensive period or have had substantial experience outside his or her university of origin;
- Experience in and the aptitude for teaching at university level, demonstrated if possible by formal assessments;
- The capacity to work within a team of teachers and to integrate research findings into teaching;
- Creativity and must be open to teaching innovation and interdisciplinarity;
- The capacities required to undertake high-level academic research: capacity to raise research funds, to supervise projects, to animate and lead a research team;
- Team management and communication skills, including if possible fluency in French and English, spoken and written. Otherwise, you will be asked to acquire them within two years after taking office, in order to be able to communicate and teach in these languages. Knowledge of other languages is an additional asset.
The level of recruitment (appointment to the rank of lecturer or professor) will be discussed if a proposal is made to you, in connection with your previous academic experience. For more information, see: jobs.uclouvain.be.
Our HR policy supports equal opportunities and diversity including in the academic career. Attention is also paid to reconciliation of private life and professional life.Continue reading
|Title||An academic position in Latin Language and Linguistics (1 EFT)|
|Employer||Université catholique de Louvain|
|Job location||Place de l'Université 1, 1348 Louvain-La-Neuve|
|Published||October 8, 2019|
|Application deadline||November 15, 2019|
|Job types||Professor,   Assistant / Associate Professor,   Tenure Track  |
|Fields||Language Education,   Classical Philology,   Latin,   Applied Linguistics  |